May of this year I had already finished my Associates degree at the local community college and was preparing for my high school graduation (yes simultaneously). I was like every other graduate, eager to move, eager to begin that new "chapter" of my life. Only difference was, instead of having the entire summer to spend with friends and family before moving off to college, I was to move to the other side of the world. 3 days after receiving my high school diploma.
3 days after walking across that stage I would find myself on a plane to Newark, NJ and then to Beijing, China. Leaving behind my friends, family, boyfriend and old life. It was just me and my 2 suitcases filled to the max 50lbs with everything I need to live a normal life for the next 4 months of my life.
Needless to say, this was not your normal situation for an 18 year old to find oneself in merely 3 days after graduating from high school. I was moved out and going to be living with a stranger for the next 4 months of my life in a country 12 hours ahead of everyone I knew and loved.
Now, I guess I should explain what the hell I was doing in Beijing in the first place for those of you reading this. In a nutshell, I was offered a modeling contract for 2 months in Beijing and then 2 months in Hong Kong. It was seemingly the opportunity of a lifetime and I couldn't pass it up no matter how much I'd miss everyone I'd be leaving behind.
Now back to the story, I land in Beijing and, aside from the airport, hardly ANYONE speaks english.. no signs have english translations and the amount of pictures on an signs (to help me guess as to what they said) was minimal..to say the least. It was a good experience as far as traveling.. but short.

My 4 months quickly turned into 4 days as I realized that my Atlanta & Florida agents hadnt been honest with me and were sending me to Beijing in the middle of the OFF season. Off season as in..no jobs..scarce jobs..small jobs if any. I'm a smart girl, and I'm good with numbers, and I could already tell in the few days that I was there, and after the various castings I had gone on, that these first 2 months of the off season would be one big money hole. The castings I went on for magazine adds and catalogs were all looking for models for jobs in the next few months which equated to..no money until a few months. Meanwhile, I would be working up a tab with my rent, groceries etc. I was furious with my agents for lying to me, I had specifically asked them what the market was like in Beijing at the time of the year I would be going, I asked if it would be slow since it's off season in the States and usually fashion seasons are universal. Their answers? " No no! There's tons of work, you'll be working nonstop". These words from people I had developed friendships with, people whom I not only was represented by but also worked for.
To make matters worse, a few days after my arrival I was stopping by my Beijing agency and they presented me with a new contract. Hidden in the form of just "some more agency paperwork". Now, I was the first american girl the agency accepted, all the other models were from russia, brazil etc. The chinese agencies are fluent in Mandarin and English..but rarely any of the other languages that the models spoke. All of the models that came from foreign countries were also fluent in english, but it was not their native tongue. So, when I was handed this "paperwork" in english I immediately saw it for what it was. By signing the paper I was agreeing to "acknowlege my responsibility for reimbursing the agency for the following expenses". Hmm... wasn't that what the original contract was for...? Thought so. Now, this new "expenses acknowledgement form" didn't just go back over the original items listed in the contract (i.e rent, taxes, agency fee etc.). No it went on to include anything and everything possible all the way down to the map of Beijing that the cleaning lady had handed to me the first day I was in my new apartment. Silly me for thinking that the lady was just being nice and giving me a map so I could find my way around.
This is getting ridiculously long for one entry..
I now officially deem this entry "To be continued.."
No comments:
Post a Comment