Sunday, January 17, 2010

I compare thee to..

So it's Sunday. Most people have a day off tomorrow to observe Martin Luther King Jr. day, however, businesses don't seem to do the same. Apparently the business world is under some false pretense that racism only occurred in our schools and never the workplace. So I will be working my 2 day a week 9-5 as usual, while everyone else enjoys the nice 70 degree Florida beach weather..well, at the beach.

But moving on, last week was my first week at a University. I've been to college (already have my AA degree) but this was my first, what I call, 'real college experience'. & I would like to take a moment to jot down how I felt this past week, just incase I find it interesting (or even possibly humorous) in the future..

First off, I commute & left early to go to campus the "back way". Of course as I get onto 50 I realize that I infact have no idea where I am going. A car promptly cuts me off, and as my brain is signaling my hand to lift up my finger I notice a "UCF" sticker & decide that there is no way that this car is coming from all the way where I am and NOT going where I'm going. So I follow it.
This story would be a lot better if I followed it into some poor unknowing person's driveway, but it did in fact lead me 'the back way' and right into the right parking garage. Success.

I'm freaking out about the parking garage now because I've never actually parked in one by myself, yeah I'm painfully insane. However, all is well because there's a nice open spot right on the first floor. Success.

I go to grab my things & then look to see what time it is. 9:22am. My class starts at 10:30. Fail.

The campus is beautiful though, I ate my lunch outside on a wall/ledge of sorts and actually 'lol'd at the sheer steryotypicalness of it all. Me sitting under the shade of a tree quietly eating my sandwhich, listening to the occasional chatter from people walking to & from classes & hearing the swoosh swoosh of ,the more coordinated, students skateboarding to class. It was enjoyable I'll admit. Although I probably scared off a few people on my way back to the parking garage after my last class.. when I thought the scene couldn't possibly mimic that of any college movie you could name anymore, I passed a group of students playing soccer..I smiled to myself. Then I passed a group playing football..I rolled my eyes in a way as to say 'of courseee they would be doing that'. Finally, I completely lost my cool when I saw the largest group yet playing frisbee..I proceeded to instantly bust out into laughter. By myself. Good thing I wasn't trying to make any friends in the vacinity..but I still decided to call someone as to ignore the fact that I just laughed out loud to myself..in public.

Moving on though, I think that the rest of my experience (of going to class by myself, sitting in class by myself, talking to myself (in my head..I'm not that big of a creeper), walking by myself, & eating by myself.) can best be described as going to the movies alone. It's really almost an identical situation, just a bit less entertaining. That basically sums it up though, it was exactly as though I went to see 4 movies in one day, with a break in between the 2nd and 3rd, alone.

Seems awfully pitiful. Good thing I don't mind being alone every once in awhile. I'll definately never be the annoying girl talking just to know that her voice still works, and people can in fact still hear it.

Now I'm off to bed though, I have 2 gym trips to make tomorrow before & after work..& a little extra sleep definately couldn't hurt.

Dream Beautiful Dreams~

No comments:

Post a Comment